.

Monday, August 11, 2014

So Much For the Weekend

I had good intentions last weekend.  Lots of them.  Since we usually have 'family' day on Sunday, Saturday is my family's work-around-the-house-and-yard day.  Weeding, cleaning up twigs, transferring compost to the garden, and any household stuff that got missed from the week.  So, no biggie, as things need to be done.

Wrong.  The temperature soared, and the A/C went wonky.  In short, were hot and miserable and didn't want to do anything.  This, unfortunately, included actual moving around or turning on the computer (this too generates some heat) to even sit quietly and do edits.  It took all day, but we got things straightened out, and it took all of that next day to recover from the stifling, humid heat.

I usually like summer, but this one has been tough.  It's usually okay when it gets hot and stays hot because we get used to it, however when it gets hot then cooler then hot again, it feels horrible as we don't have the normal acclimation.

I started thinking about this last year when we had a cool spell, about the acclimation process, and applied it in various ways to my WIP.  My characters were miserable, they suffered some, and generally had short tempers.  Good for me, good for story conflict, and great for my plot.  I can usually find ways to incorporate almost anything into my writing that provokes a character reaction, plus it helps the realism aspect because readers can identify.

So, Sunday was a bust.  I have laundry to do.

Later!

~R




0 comments: